University campus in suburb of Oxford
Available: 23rd June 2013 – 11th August 2013
Ages: 14 – 17
Location: Oxford Brookes University, Headington Campus
Time to London: 1 hour (by train)
See our prices
Our Headington summer school is based on the main campus of Oxford Brookes University in the attractive Oxford suburb of Headington.
Classes, meals and sports are all conveniently on one site. The area of Headington caters especially well to students with shops and cafes on your doorstep.
The historic city centre of Oxford, home to England’s oldest university, is just a short bus ride away, waiting for you to discover.
Embassy Summer school students are housed in standard rooms in the Clive Booth Halls, a short walk from the main campus. These residences are two-storey blocks of flats, with green land surrounding. They are convenient for sports and leisure facilities.
Students will have a standard single study bedroom, containing modern furniture. Rooms are arranged in 'flats' with 5 – 6 rooms in each flat, sharing 1 - 2 shower rooms, toilet and a kitchen-lounge area. Telephone booths are available in each residential block.
- Classrooms: : Lessons take place in modern, well-equipped classrooms.
- Sports facilities: Excellent modern sports centre which includes: Astroturf football pitch, large sports hall, green field areas and fitness gym (minimum age 18).
- Dining Hall: Large, brightly-decorated room in the main building, close to the classrooms and Embassy Summer Schools office.
- Common room: Sports Hall bar with a social and dance area is available for evening discos and activities. Films are shown in the lecture theatres. Clive Booth Halls also have a television room.
- Email: Students will have access to a PC suite two evenings a week on a limited rota basis.
Travel time to major airports and stations: †
|Airport or Station
|London Heathrow (LHR)
|Luton Airport (LTN)
||1 hour 30 minutes
|St Pancras International (Eurostar)
||1 hour 30 minutes
|London Gatwick (LGW)
|Stansted Airport (STN)
||2 hours 30 minutes
See our transfer prices
† Travel times shown are average transfer times by road
- Sports: Football, Softball, Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Aerobics and Table Tennis.
- Non-sports: Show rehearsals, Crafts and Treasure Hunts.
- Local visits:Trinity College, Natural History Museum, The Three Towers and the Ashmolean Museum.
- Blind Date, International Show, Discos, Talent show, Fashion show, 'It's a Knockout' and Karaoke.
* Examples of typical activities offered are shown
Included in the course price:
- One full-day excursion by coach each week.
- One half-day excursion (usually by coach) each week.
- Transport for local visits not included.
Examples of typical included excursions:
- London: The UK capital offers an unrivalled choice of shopping, world-class galleries, museums and so much more.
- Salisbury: Salisbury is an historic city in the county of Wiltshire where you'll also find the magnificent ancient monument of Stonehenge.
- Stratford-Upon-Avon: Famous as the birthplace of playwright William Shakespeare, visit historic English buildings dating back centuries.
Examples of typical optional excursions:
- Buckingham Palace: Visit the Queen's Gallery and, during a few weeks of summer the state rooms at the British Monarch's primary home.
- Brighton Royal Pavilion: An unusual and decorative palace that is influenced by oriental styles.
- Chessington World of Adventures: A zoo and theme park on the edge of Greater London, with roller-coasters and water rides.
- London Eye: Take a ride on Europe's tallest ferris wheel and enjoy fantastic views over London.
- Madame Tussauds & Marvel 4D Experience: Waxwork museum, now with a unique 4D cinema, where you 'feel’ the film as well as see it!
- Shakespeare’s Globe Exhibition & Rose Tour: Visit the site of two 16th century theatres, the rebuilt Globe Theatre, and the excavated Rose Theatre, both on London's South Bank.
- Thorpe Park: A leading theme park offering over thirty extreme rides and attractions.
- Tower of London: For centuries this palace, with its prison tower was the place of many royal executions.
** Examples of typical excursions shown. Optional excursions require extra payment for travel and entrance
Visit Oxford tourist site
Headington Campus: Entrance
Halls of residence: Entrance
Accommodation: Clive Booth Halls Student Village
Accommodation: Study bedroom
Facilities: Football pitch
Facilities: Sports hall
Facilities: Dining hall
Facilities: Campus shop
Excursion: Historic Oxford's city centre