Campus on England's sunny South Coast
Available: 14th June 2015 – 23rd August 2015
Ages: 10 – 17
Location: University of Portsmouth, Langstone Campus
Time to London: 1 hour 30 minutes (by train)
See our prices
Southsea is both a seaside resort and part of the city of Portsmouth on England’s South coast. The whole area is in fact a separate island, called Portsea Island, which is connected to the mainland by three road bridges.
Our Southsea summer school is located at the Langstone Campus of the University of Portsmouth, which has superb teaching and sport facilities.
In the surrounding area you’ll find many coastal attractions from historic ships and piers to modern shops and attractions including beach volleyball and skate-parks. Portsmouth city centre is a short taxi/bus ride away and offers cinema and mall shopping.
Summer Plus at Southsea:
English with Football
English with Sailing
English with Tennis
There are several residences on campus, which are all within easy walking distance of each other. All offer single rooms with private (en suite) bathrooms.
The rooms are arranged into flats, with 6-8 rooms.
Security: Night security is provided on the campus at Southsea.
- Classrooms: Lessons take place in the main administrative building.
- Sports facilities: The college recently invested £2M in upgrading its outdoor sports facilities including areas for football, rugby, tennis, etc.
- Dining Hall: Modern, self-service dining-hall for 150+ diners and out-side space for al fresco dining.
- Common room: Large indoor hall for evening activities including discos and karaoke.
- Launderette: There is a coin-operated launderette on site.
- Email & internet: Wi-fi is available throughout the campus (A small fee will be charged for access to a password).
Travel time to major airports and stations: †
|Airport or Station
|London Gatwick (LGW)
||1 hour 30 minutes
|London Heathrow (LHR)
||1 hour 30 minutes
|St Pancras International (Eurostar)
|Luton Airport (LHR)
||2 hours 30 minutes
|Stansted Airport (STN)
||2 hours 30 minutes
See our transfer prices
† Travel times shown are average transfer times by road
- Sports: Football, Mini-Olympics, Rounders, Volleyball, Basketball and Tennis.
- Non-sports: Treasure Hunts, Mask-making and 'Make-your-own-Crazy Golf' and additional off-site local visits.
- Town trails: 'Harbour walk' and 'Nature walk' (with scavenger hunt) .
- Blind Date, Discos, Extravaganza, Fashion Show, Karaoke, Quiz and Games.
* Examples of typical activities offered are shown
Included in the course price:
- One full-day and 1 half-day excursion each week.
- There is also one visit to the City of Portsmouth, each week.
- The excursions outside of Southsea and Portsmouth may be either by coach or train.
Examples of typical included excursions:
- London: The UK capital offers an unrivalled choice of shopping, world-class galleries, museums and so much more.
- Brighton: Just one hour from London, Brighton is an historic and colourful city by the sea with great shops, palace, pier, bars and restaurants.
- Oxford: Home to England's oldest university, you'll enjoy exploring Oxford's grand buildings, containing museums, shops and colleges.
Examples of typical optional excursions:
- Buckingham Palace: Visit the Queen's Gallery and, during a few weeks of summer the state rooms at the British Monarch's primary home.
- Chessington World of Adventures:A zoo and theme park on the edge of Greater London, with roller-coasters and water rides.
- London Eye: Take a ride on Europe's tallest Ferris wheel and enjoy fantastic views over London.
- Madame Tussauds & Marvel 4D Experience: Waxwork museum, now with a unique 4D cinema, where you 'feel’ the film as well as see it!
- Shakespeare’s Globe Exhibition & Rose Tour: Visit the site of two 16th century theatres, the rebuilt Globe Theatre, and the excavated Rose Theatre, on London’s South Bank.
- Thorpe Park: A leading theme park offering over thirty extreme rides and attractions.
- Tower of London: Originally built by William the Conqueror for centuries after this palace, with its prison tower was the place of many royal executions.
** Examples of typical excursions shown. Optional excursions require extra payment for travel and entrance
University of Portsmouth
Langstone Campus, University of Portsmouth, England
Accommodation: Southsea residence
Accommodation: Southsea study bedroom
Accommodation: Private bathrooms
Facilities: Southsea sports pitch
Facilities: Southsea dining room
Excursions: Students on the rides at Brighton Pier
Excursions: HMS Victory - historic ship in Portsmouth near Southsea
New course supplement option: Study English with Football - at Embassy Summer Southsea in Summer 2014