Fantastic central London location
Available: 21st June 2015 – 16th August 2015
Ages (groups): 14+
Ages (individuals): 16+
Location: London South Bank University
Time to London: Zero (10 minutes from Oxford Circus)
See our prices
South Bank University is located in central London. The area gets its name from being located on the 'south bank' of the River Thames and begins on the land opposite to the Houses of Parliament and continues down the river towards the Tate Modern Gallery, in the 'Bankside' area
Along the river are galleries, theatres, shops, restaurants, cinemas, bars and the London Eye from which you can enjoy spectacular views back across to the centre of London. This is the ideal summer school experience for older teenagers and young adults.
All students are accommodated in the McLaren House residence just a short 3 minute walk from the main building (London Road Campus).
All single rooms have private en suite bathrooms, containing a shower, sink and toilet.
Rooms are arranged into flats of between 5 and 10 rooms that share a communal kitchen for relaxing and socialising.
Security: There is 24-hour security on site. Anyone with an emergency during the night should call the centre mobile number which will be given to all students on arrival.
- Classrooms: : Lessons take place in modern, well-equipped classrooms all close together.
- Sports facilities: The sports hall in London Road is used on some weekdays and in hot weather, sports are also played in the local parks.
- Dining Hall: : Self-service in the large spacious dining room on the London Road campus.
- Common room: Television room in the residential block at McLaren House. Discos and most evening entertainment in the large Student Union on London Road.
- Email: Wi-fi access is available. Students need to bring their own laptops and other devices.
Travel time to major airports and stations: †
|Airport or Station
|St Pancras International (Eurostar)
|London Heathrow (LHR)
|London Gatwick (LGW)
||1 hour 10 minutes
|Stansted Airport (STN)
||1 hour 30 minutes
|Luton Airport (LTN)
||1 hour 30 minutes
See our transfer prices
† Travel times shown are average transfer times by road
- Sports: Football, Basketball, Indoor Hockey, Rounders, Volleyball and Badminton.
- Local visits and walks
- Blind Date, International Night, Discos, Quiz, Fashion Show, Karaoke and Films.
Over 18s only: Pub and bar visits.
* Examples of typical activities offered are shown
Included in the course price:
- One full-day excursion (usually by coach) each week.
- And, at least three half-day visits to museums and attractions in London each week, usually by underground train.
- Transport for local visits not included. Travel cost approximate - £18 for children (15 and under) and £32 for adults 16+.
Examples of typical inclusive excursions:
- Local visits: Examples of places visited: London Visits (Bank Museum, British Museum, Imperial War Museum, Museum of Childhood, National Gallery, Natural History Museum, National Maritime Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Royal Courts of Justice, Science Museum, Tate Britain, Tate Modern and Victoria & Albert Museum.)
- Various walks: St. Paul's Cathedral, river cruise on the Thames, Shakespeare's Globe, Tower Bridge Experience and London Dungeon
- Brighton: Just one hour from London, Brighton is an historic and colourful city by the sea with great shops, palace, pier, bars and restaurants.
- Cambridge: This historic city, with its grand universities and museums, narrow streets and shops can all be enjoyed on foot.
- Canterbury: An historic cathedral city, which is the centre of the Church of England.
Examples of typical optional excursions:
- Buckingham Palace: Visit the Queen's Gallery and during a few weeks of summer the state rooms at the British Monarch's primary home.
- Brighton Royal Pavilion: An unusual and decorative palace that is influenced by oriental styles.
- Chessington World of Adventures: A zoo and theme park on the edge of Greater London, with roller-coasters and water rides.
- Hampton Court Palace: A 16th century, large and impressive palace with extensive gardens.
- Kew Gardens: Huge garden estate housing the World's largest collection of living plants.
- London Eye: Take a ride on Europe's tallest Ferris wheel and enjoy fantastic views over London.
- Madame Tussauds & Marvel 4D Experience: Waxwork museum, now with a unique 4D cinema, where you 'feel' the film as well as see it!
- Tower of London: For centuries this palace, with its prison tower was the place of many royal executions.
- Windsor Castle: Visit the Queen's favourite weekend home. The oldest and largest inhabited castle in the world.
- Thorpe Park: Visit one of the biggest theme parks in the UK and enjoy the many roller coasters and rides.
- Stratford upon Avon: Visit the historic riverside town and see the birthplace of William Shakespeare.
** Examples of typical excursions shown. Optional excursions require extra payment for travel and entrance
London average climate
London South Bank University
McLaren House, South Bank University, London England
Accommodation: Study bedroom
Facilities: Self-service dining room
Facilities: Sports hall
Facilities: Common room
Activities: Karaoke in the Student bar
Trips: Walking tour of London
Local are: London bus in London South Bank area